Friday, November 29, 2013

Back to the Grind!

Well, my two-year leave of absence was officially over. I am extremely grateful that I had the opportunity to stay home for so long. It was such a blessing, and while being a SAHM is a really tough job, it’s even tougher to work full-time and be a mom, too. I will miss the most our lazy mornings and breakfasts together. I liked to plan a couple of fun little outings per week in the mornings that Gabrielle didn't have preschool. One of our favorite outings was driving to the Chelsea Tree house on a sunny day, driving on all the scenic back roads, and jamming to Laurie Berkner in the car. We also really enjoyed mornings at the Howell Carnegie Library. Gabrielle would meet up with some of her preschool friends for the preschool class. It was just fun, and not busy, and not stressful. I loved it.

And here we are at September. My first day of work was also Gabrielle’s first day of kindergarten. Adam took the day off to get Gabrielle on the bus. There is a part of me that was glad I was not there to see her get on the bus because I would have bawled, and I am not a crier nor am I very fond of my own tears, so it worked out. Gabrielle had a bigger adjustment to make than me. School days are long! Poor kid came home feeling very tired and very forlorn. She is still not quite adjusted to the long days, and quite frankly I don’t blame her. It’s a long day for kindergartners. She doesn’t quite rule the roost that same way she did in preschool. She is also learning what it’s like to be with kids who are not just like her. (When she was in preschool, it seemed like the kids were largely similar in many ways!)  Other than the long day, she is enjoying school as much as she can.

September is a rough month as well because we have to close up our wonderful summer hideaway on Houghton Lake. The dock, boat, and the jet skis came out. All the hoists came out. We made our last trip up the third weekend, and it is always bittersweet. I can't believe we were closing out our third summer on the lake. What memories we made!! At the time, I didn't realize that that was the kids and my last trip up this season. Adam made one more trip up with Tom and Bob to winterize the place in early November. We are looking forward to April already when we can open the place up. Just think--we will have another baby in tow! OMG!

Carter had some big adjustments to make as well. He was used to me from Day One, day in and day out, he was always with mama. Luckily, being at home with grandma is pretty easy and fun, and so he made a pretty good transition to his new schedule. Grandma, too—she’s back on the job after a two-year hiatus as well. Carter and Grandma go to a 2-year old preschool program at Grace Lutheran Church. (The same place Gabrielle went for 2/3/4 year old preschool, too.) It’s only once a week for them, and Carter was pretty unsure of this whole preschool thing. (Even though it’s more of a play group.) Carter is pretty stubborn and didn’t like to participate much, but he’s getting better!

I fully prepped myself to have a rough September. Being exhausted from the new schedule, not to mention being in my first trimester!!!, I set some pretty low expectations to just get through the month. Sure enough, as soon as October 1st came, it seemed like my schedule at work evened out a bit and the catatonic exhaustion lessened a bit. We were all looking forward to October!


First Day of School!






Carter's first day of school--What's he thinking here?!

Looking a bit more like himself here:-)
 

We always have a fun time at Spicer's Apple Orchard!!

Carter loved this donkey...
 ...and wanted to share his drink:-)

I love this pic! I think I have one from every year!

Gabrielle went to a super fun birthday party at Sweet & Sassy in Novi for her friend, Lexi. She got to wear a princess dress, concoct her own lotion, get her hair, nails, and make up done, walked down the cat walk, and even did a choreographed dance! It was pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen!!




 Fall is the season for fire station open houses. This one was at the Green Oak Station in Brighton. Carter was in heaven!



0 comments:

Post a Comment